Former Chiefs assistant coach Reid pleads guilty in crash

Kansas City, Mo. — Former Kansas City Chiefs assistant coach Britt Reid pleaded guilty Monday to a felony drink-driving offense resulting in serious bodily harm from a 2021 crash, which occurred when his pickup truck struck two stopped cars in a freeway ramp and seriously injured a 5-year-old girl.

Reid, the 37-year-old son of Chiefs coach Andy Reid, was set to appear in court on September 26. He was given up to seven years in prison, but the plea deal means he now faces a possible sentence ranging from probation to four years in prison. He presented his case before the Jackson County Circuit Court in Kansas City. The sentencing is set for October 28.

Investigators said Britt Reid was drunk and driving about 135 km/h when his Dodge truck hit the cars on a ramp to Interstate 435 near Arrowhead Stadium on Feb. 4, 2021.

A girl in one of the cars, Ariel Young, suffered a traumatic brain injury. Six people, including Reid, were injured in the crash.

On Monday, Reid admitted he had been drinking the night of the crash.

“I really regret what I did,” Reid said. “I made a big mistake. I apologize to the family. I didn’t mean to hurt anyone.”

Tom Pardo, a lawyer representing Ariel’s family, said they opposed the plea deal.

“The five victims of this crime are outraged,” Pardo said. “The prosecution is not demanding the maximum sentence allowed by law. The defendant is a previous perpetrator whose actions resulted in a 5-year-old girl falling into a coma and seriously injuring three others.”

A Kansas City police officer who arrived at the scene reported that he could smell alcohol and that Reid’s eyes were bloodshot, according to court documents. Reid had a blood alcohol level of 0.113 in his blood two hours after the crash, police said. The legal limit is 0.08.

One of the vehicles he hit had come to a stop due to a dead battery, and the second belonged to Ariel’s mother, who had come to help.

The Chiefs reached a confidential agreement with Ariel’s family in November to pay for her ongoing medical treatment and other expenses.

Reid underwent emergency surgery for a groin injury after the crash. The Chiefs placed Reid on administrative leave and his job with the team ended after his contract expired.

This isn’t the first legal issue for Reid, who graduated from a Pennsylvania drug treatment program in 2009 after a series of clashes with law enforcement. His father was the coach of the Philadelphia Eagles at the time.

Britt Reid’s older brother, Garrett, was serving a two-year prison term in a Pennsylvania drug program after he was arrested on drug charges. Garrett Reid was later found dead in August 2012 in his dorm room at Lehigh University, where he was assisting at the Eagles’ training camp. A coroner ruled that he died of an accidental heroin overdose.


More AP NFL coverage: and—NFL